Thursday, September 20, 2007

I think I need a follow-up

Right after class today, Spencer and I had a conversation and we realized we both had the same questions regarding Marxist theory. Must write down ideas quickly before we forget.

Immediately, we both considered creativity. I had mentioned Guy de Maupassant last entry. After this discussion, it seems the author is less important when the message is carried through the text. Does this completely remove creativity from the author?
Is he just a medium for the message of the text?
Does he not impose any creativity on his text?

Next, Spencer and I discussed when the text is consumed. It seems the only creativity that exists in a text is through analysis.

Help?

1 comment:

Ryan Murphy said...

I think you, Spencer, and I all figured out the same thing around the same time/day; which was that Marxist criticism isn't concerned so much with what the author intended, but by how a society interprets/consumes a text. This almost certainly leads to the dominant class of said society using texts to promote their ideology and thus keeping them in power. I think